Photo

Shutting computer down using IP address?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,557 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

Ellie is asking for help:
My brother keeps shutting my laptop down using its IP address... It's so annoying because I'm playing sims and every time I get far with my sims career he shuts it down... I've tried threatening him, carrying out my threats, throwing things at him, hitting him, turning the Xbox off when he's in the middle of a game and ignoring the fact that he's doing it in the hope that he'll think it's not getting to me but ITS NOT WORKING. Idk how to make him stop... I always press the button that makes my laptop not connected to the Internet but he can still shut it down? Please help :(

Our Answer: Well, your brother is a real smartass! But let me explain you a point, to start with: he is not using the IP address to disconnect your computer. IP address is inherent to the Internet service provided by your ISP and has nothing to do with the operation of your computer. Actually, IP is the same for all the devices connected to your home network, including other computers, smartphones, tablets, iPods and blu-ray players. Let him credit with the feat, he has remote access to your computer through your home network. Actually, that's not too difficult to do. Now, I don't know what do you mean by pressing the button that makes your laptop connected to internet but for sure you are not disconnectig it from your home network. You should log out of your home network. Check at
Control Pantel > Network Connection
Check STATUS it should say "Disconnected"
If status is not Disconnected, press on "Internet Connection" with right button of your mouse and select in contextual menu "Disable" and press it.

Once you are logged out, there is no way to manipulate your computer

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#2 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,710 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:47 AM

Hmmmm. 

#3 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,557 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hmmmm. 

Do you have a beeter proposal?

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#4 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,710 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

The brother could have bee using the ip address from the router control panel and shutting down his connection. So putting a good password on the family router would help.