1 reply to this topic

#1 room460z

Master Jokesman

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts
  • Interests:Guess....

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:34 AM

For those guitarists/basists out there that make use of the many TAB sites to download music (places like olga.net are a favourite of mine), without paying the 30 or so quid/dollars/euros that the publishers want to charge for sheet music of an album and of course, most of the time, you only want ONE song anyway, most of these sites are now closed.

A while ago, 'take down' letters from lawyers representing the NMPA and the MPA were sent out and now most are gone.

What really stinks is that all of these tabs were user written interpretations of the original songs - AND most are or never were available as sheet music in the first place!

Oh - did I mention that when sheet music IS published for a song, that the version on paper is often not the version you hear? Introductions or endings are often either entirely different or left out altogether. They also change the key - not that hard a problem to overcome, but why do it?

I'm ticked-off by this - it really does mean that the average home musician has to look elsewhere or pay big money...

:D

#2 room460z

Master Jokesman

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts
  • Interests:Guess....

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

<sigh>.....

Teach me not to do some research before I post my grumbles!!!!!!

I found a great alternative site: chordie.com which has loads of good tabs too.

Only thing is - I wonder how long it'll last before the lawyers get to it too?

:D