Video of Preparation
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup milk
365 Everyday Value® Organic Milk
Everyday Savings: $3.45 per .5 galLEARN MORE
- 2 tablespoons butter
365 Everyday Value® Organic Butter
Everyday Savings: $4.49 per 16 ozLEARN MORE
- 2 eggs
365 Everyday Value® Large White Eggs
Everyday Savings: $2.99 per 12 ctLEARN MORE
- 5 whole eggs, dyed if desired
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Add all ingredients to list
Ready In3 h
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast; stir well. Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan; heat until milk is warm and butter is softened but not melted.
- Gradually add the milk and butter to the flour mixture; stirring constantly. Add two eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal size rounds; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each round into a long roll about 36 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Using the two long pieces of dough, form a loosely braided ring, leaving spaces for the five colored eggs. Seal the ends of the ring together and use your fingers to slide the eggs between the braids of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place loaf on a buttered baking sheet and cover loosely with a damp towel. Place loaf in a warm place and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. Brush risen loaf with melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.