Photo

How can i know the ip address of my router from a laptop connected to it wireless?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,239 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

How can i know the ip address of my router from a laptop connected to it wireless?
I wanted to determine what IP address to type on the web-browser’s Address bar when accessing the router’s web-based setup page.

Our Answer

• Typical home networks use IP addresses that start with 192.168. Often the router will have an IP address such as 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1.
    You can get the IP address from the manufacturer's documentation. Sometimes it is on a label on the bottom of the router.

Once a network has been set up, each computing device on the network knows the IP address of the router. Terminology can get in the way however.

Apple devices refer to the router as "Router". Windows refers to it as the "Default Gateway", a term borrowed from TCP/IP. Chrome OS refers to the router as "Gateway". Android won't tell you the IP address of your router, forcing you to install an app.

WINDOWS

Windows users can start a command prompt and type in "ipconfig" to see the Default Gateway. The output will look like this on Windows 7:

Windows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.29
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1

The output of the command Windows XP is almost identical. On either system, if the computer is using Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet, look for "Wireless Network Connection" instead of "Local Area Connection".

The same ipconfig command works on the desktop side of Windows 8, which also identifies the router as "Default Gateway". A wireless connection on Windows 8 is called "Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi", while a wired connection is identified as "Ethernet adapter Ethernet".

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#2 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

Nice.