• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,561 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:33 AM

My computer won't start up no matter what I do. Everything looks fine, no dust in the RAM slot, nothing. When I try to turn it on, it turns on and turns off after a couple of seconds, with nothing on the display. Nothing comes up. Tried different power supplies, Celeron D processor, putting the RAM in the second slot, but nothing happens. If you guys need some extra info, I can post a photo of the interior of the system.

Please help.

Specs:
450W generic power supply
Pentium 4 processor
2GB DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte G31M-ES2C mobo
Western DIgital Blue 500GB HDD
No GPU (mobo graphics which is about 64MB)

Our Answer

Sorry, no way to give you a helpful answer to repair your computer. While it certainly looks like a power supply failure, as you say, you already tought on that possibility and tried other power supplies.
So, you've done already all that might be done by a user with a rather advanced knowledge and actually, from what I understand, it doesn't even show the BIOS startup
Looks like you've got a serious failure of the motherboard, probably on the power input level. Might not be of great help but check the condition of your 450W PSU; a problem with the PSU might have damaged the motherboard. Can't really give you more explanations about all this, because even if I have some experience with computers gone wrong, I don't have any computer electronics knowlegde.
Maybe some advanced electronic tests might diagnose your problem but I guess you should have the technical preparation and equipment to do it yourself.
By the way, your motherboard looks rather old so if it has failed, might not be worth to repair it, even if it were possible, which is frequently not the case.
My advice is:
Take it to some repair sevice for diagnose but ask them  to notify you before repairing it. MIGHT NOT BE WORTH!
Option 1: get yourself another motherboard compatible with P4 and DDR2. Before installing it, be sure to check your PSU.
Option 2: get a good computer compatible with your DDR2 memory. There still are lots of old P4 computers around with 1 Gb or 2Gb RAM and 100 or 200 Gb HDD
Option 3: Get a new computer. You can install your WD 500Gb as a second drive unit or as an external drive in a USB enclosure. As for the DDR2, the P4 and the 450W PSU (if it's good) you still might sell them on a garage sale for some money, though really are not worth much.

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#2 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

I always remove all cards and memory. Then boot it. It it stays on then not cpu or motherboard. Then place video card and try again. Then memory and so forth. Time consuming but sometimes results will help.

#3 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,561 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:24 AM

I always remove all cards and memory. Then boot it. It it stays on then not cpu or motherboard. Then place video card and try again. Then memory and so forth. Time consuming but sometimes results will help.

Thank you for this GREAT ADVICE. MIGHT BE HELPFUL FOR THE FUTURE, BECAUSE THIS PARTICULARASKER NEVER EVEN THANKED THE ANSWER.

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#4 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

:)