Photo

Is there a way to automatically alphabetize something on MS Word?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noodle

Mister Danger

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37,561 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:05 AM

Is there a way to automatically alphabetize something on MS Word?
I have two collections of stories. one of actual books that currently fill up 7 1/2 storage totes (I just moved) and the other being multiple stories in digital form on my laptops (yes, I do have multiple as I needed one for home and one for my office work). I would like to make two lists, one for each of those collections of stories, so that I can keep track of what I have when buying more. It would be easier to do if the books were alphabetized and so was wondering if I could type them all up in order of which stories I come across and then set the Word program to alphabetizing it for me?

Our Answer
The simplest way to alphabetize a text in Word is sorting paragraphs.
In HOME, look for the SORT icon (A to Z with an arrow). By default it's ascending and you have several options, like sorting descending, by paragraph, or if you have used tabs, you'll get camps
So, being systematic in you listing by using same tabs, you simply can separate your definitions likeTitle, Author, Date and Theme and then sort, if you like, by Paragrapgh, Camp2 (Author), Camp3 (Date), Camp 4 (Theme) etc.
You can ellaborate something more formal using the TABLE format and can sort table columns.
So
1 In Print Layout view, move the pointer over the table until the table move handle appears (a small + on left corner).
2.Click the table move handle to select the table that you want to sort.
3.You'll se in the Menu the option Table Tools (in yellow). On the Layout tab, in the Data group, click Sort. You can sort by column, upwards or downwards.

Of course, if you can make that listing from the start using Excel; might be more direct for sorting but as you see, there is no problem to use Word.

Please remember to thank for topics you view. A nice Thank You is always welcome
Jy2vV9.png

#2 SouthernComfort

Free Spirit

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21,713 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

Nice.